No Products in the Cart
Although the inner parts of Aloe vera plants are safe for dogs (the gel can be used topically on skin and fur, while the juice is safe for drinking), chewing on the plant can be dangerous. The plant contains toxins called saponins (a natural chemical produced by plants for protection from insects, microbes, and fungi) and anthraquinone glycosides that can cause gastrointestinal issues when ingested. Common symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy.
Though its name indicates otherwise, the Asparagus fern is actually a relative of lilies, which are known to be dangerous to dogs. This means it has similar toxicity as lilies. Ingestion of or repeated exposure to asparagus fern can cause diarrhea, vomiting and skin irritation.
This tropical houseplant is named after the animal called Birds-of-paradise, thanks to a beautiful flower that resembles the bird's plumage. That flower, though, is the most toxic part of this plant. That being said, ingesting any part of a Bird Of Paradise can lead to gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness and requires vet care.
The Chinese evergreen may be easy to care for, but won't be easy on your dog. This plant is related to the Peace Lily and also contains calcium oxalate crystals. Ingesting it can cause swelling, mouth pain, vomiting, difficulty swallowing and difficulty breathing.
Corn plants are part of the Dracaena family, which contain the toxic substance saponin. If ingested, this compound can cause intestinal irritation such as vomiting (sometimes bloody), diarrhea and loss of appetite. It also causes other symptoms such as excessive saliva or drooling, weakness, ataxia and depression.
Dracaena Marginata, also known as the Madagascar Dragon Tree, also contains saponins, unsurprisingly. As aforementioned, they can cause intestinal irritation when ingested (such as vomiting (sometimes bloody), diarrhea and loss of appetite). It also causes other symptoms such as drooling, weakness, ataxia and depression.
Dieffenbachia, or Dumb Canes, are tall plants (they can grow up to five feet) that contain calcium oxalate crystals in their leaves. This can cause symptoms of poisoning when ingested. These include mouth and tongue irritation, pain and burning; swelling; drooling, vomiting, difficulty breathing (in rare cases) and death (in rare and severe cases).
Elephant Ears - which come in the Colocasia, Alocasia and Caladium varieties - are a type of Philodendron, a toxic plant in the Araceae family. They have spectacular foliage, but that is what makes them toxic to dogs. Their leaves contain calcium oxalate crystals in the leaves that can cause oral irritation among other issues. Symptoms include mouth, tongue and lip pain and swelling; drooling; vomiting; difficult swallowing and breathing; and death (in severe cases).
Most of the time, Eucalyptus is dried or preserved when being used in decor. But dried or alive, the plant (including Eucalyptus essential oils) can be toxic to dogs. Ingesting it can cause symptoms such as excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and depression.
The Fiddle Leaf Fig plant, named for it's fiddle shaped leaves, is a beautiful tree that can grow to be six feet tall or more. It's popularity has skyrocketed over the last several years, but unfortunately it's toxic to dogs. The plant is a Philodendron, so it contains insoluble calcium oxalates. If ingested, it can cause mouth, tongue and lip burning, irritation and pain as well as excessive drooling, vomiting, gastrointestinal irritation and pain, and difficulty swallowing.
Ivy is often seen climbing up trees or house and garden walls. Its cascading look is beautiful but can be dangerous to your canine companion. Many varieties of ivy leaves contain toxins, such as triterpenoid saponins and polyacetylene compounds. When ingested, these can cause abdominal pain and irritation, vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling.
The Jade Plant is a hardy succulent that is often seen in small sizes but can grow quite a bit. Unfortunately, it is toxic to dogs, though the exact toxic compounds are unknown. When ingested, symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation and distress (like vomiting and abdominal pain), lethargy, weakness, depression, a slow heart rate or heartbeat irregularities (rare), uncoordinated or impaired muscle movements (rare) and convulsions (rare).
Like the Elephant Ears, Monsteras are a type of Philodendron, which are toxic to dogs. This is because its leaves contain sharp calcium oxalate crystals. If ingested, they can cause mouth and tongue pain, irritation and swelling as well as vomiting, drooling, difficulty breathing. In severe and rare cases, they may even be fatal.
Peace Lilies are characterized by deep green, glossy leaves and beautiful, white lily flowers. But they are quite toxic to dogs due to the calcium oxalate crystals they contain. Ingestion of and even contact with the plant can cause mouth pain and irritation, excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing and vomiting (if ingested).
The cascading Pothos plant is closely related to the Philodendron, meaning it too has toxic properties to dogs. Specifically, the leaves contain sharp calcium oxalate crystals. When ingested, these compounds can cause mouth and tongue pain, irritation and swelling as well as vomiting, drooling, difficulty breathing (though rare). In severe and rare cases, they may even be fatal.
The Rubber Tree or Ficus elastica (not to be confused with the Baby or American Rubber Plant) are large plants that can grow up to 10 feet tall. They have beautiful leaves that are green or maroon and sometimes have white, cream, yellow, or pink markings. Also called a Rubber Fig, these plants contain toxic compounds, particularly in their sap. These can cause irritation to dogs when ingested or with contact to the skin. Potential symptoms include skin irritation or dermatitis, mouth and tongue pain and irritation, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, depression and decreased appetite.
The Sago Palm is an exotic, tropical palm. But every part of the plant is toxic to dogs (from the seeds and roots to the trunk and leaves). It's high toxicity lands this palm a spot on the Pet Poison Helpline’s Top Terrible Toxins list. It contains the toxic compound cycasin. Mild toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy while more serious toxicity can cause seizures, liver failure and death.
The Snake Plant is also known as Mother-in-Laws Tongue, Good Luck Plant, Golden Bird's Nest and Sansevieria. This plant has an intriguing look with its pointy, vertical leaves (though some do flare out a little). But this plant is toxic to dogs, thanks to the saponins it contains. If ingested, it can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, tongue or throat numbing and swelling, excessive drooling and loss of appetite.
The ZZ Plant's name comes from it's scientific name, Zamioculcas zamiifolia and is popular for its ability to survive most conditions. But all parts of this hardy plant are toxic to dogs if ingested. This is because it contains calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause mouth pain, irritation and swelling as well as vomiting, diarrhea, and respiratory issues.
For a bunch of pet-friendly options available for purchase, check out Rooted on Amazon.